Red Clay Valley Association
The first important conservation work following the war was an investigation of water pollution and soil conservation. With the help of Clayton Hoff, the Red Clay Valley Association was formed in 1952.
Garden at John Dickinson Mansion
In 1954 the GCW was approached by the Friends of the John Dickinson Mansion near Dover and asked to provide a plan for an 18th century garden. The plans were created by Alden Hopkins, the landscape architect who supervised the layout of the grounds for Colonial Williamsburg. Funds were raised by the “Hostess at Home” project, when seven members opened their homes to the public with displays of table settings for various types of entertainment. The hostesses included Mrs. Alfred E. Bissell, Mrs. Lewis du Pont, Mrs. Nicholas R. du Pont, Mrs. Pierre S. du Pont III, Mrs. Samuel Homsey, Mrs. Lammot du Pont Copeland, and Mrs. David Stockwell. 5,000 guests came from some distance and the tour raised $3,000, enough to cover Mr. Hopkins’ fees and to make a generous contribution to the restoration of the garden.
Kennett Pike Association
By the time of post-World War II development, the Kennett Pike still appeared much as it had at the turn of the century. However, when Mrs. Horace K. Dugdale, Jr. saw changes which threatened the character of the Pike, she assembled a group of her fellow GCW members, including Mrs. David Foster and Mrs. George P. Bissell, Jr. to beautify the Pike and advocate for responsible development. Out of their efforts, the Kennett Pike Association was formed in 1957 and continues today.